Pages

Background

Friday, May 6, 2011

Something Borrowed


 I just left the movie Something Borrowed... a book I had read a couple summers back. It brought out so many emotions in me, some good, some sad, some where I just laughed! I definitely recommend you reading the book or simply watching the movie. There are many ways that I am like the main character Rachel (played by a girl named Ginnifer... clearly her parents misspelled her name). 

Rachel is the smart, sweet, wholesome friend to a diva named Darcey. Rachel has the problem of never truly expressing how she feels to anyone, herself included. In the movie you see how easily she goes with the flow and trys not to make ripples in her relationship, particularly with her BFF Darcey. This main character goes through turmoil as she falls for Dex, aka her BFF's beau who Rachel introduced. 

Rachel is so relate-able to me because there are so many times I have been in her shoes. The friend that is in the shadows while her friend is confident in the spotlight. Rachel doesn't know how great she is, and downplays her value not only to herself but to men as well. It isn't until she takes a step back and that she realizes that the only person getting in the way of what she wants is herself! Our character sees that if she wants something then she has to go all in; she starts making choices for herself and not for someone else.

In the past I have found myself tripping my own two feet. It's like I would see happiness in my reach and would do something to self sabotage myself. Throughout my life I have had friends like Darcey, good people at heart, but friends who always were the star of our relationship. Of course now that I type that I think that maybe that wasn't their intention, but the pedestal I put them on so that I could put myself below them... hmm mm. This past November I took a large step back. I really started looking at what I wanted and doing exactly that. Some of my friends didn't agree with this, they didn't like that I did things that defied the norms of our relationship. Much like Rachel, I have lost some friendships that I think of every day. 

Not to spoil the ending of this movie for you... but there is a final scene between Rachel and Darcey that truly tugged at my heart strings. I could feel myself standing in Rachel's shoes and saying the things to Darcey that I feel....I'm happy where I'm at in my life, and I'm glad you're happy where you are too. 

I think one of the hardest parts of growing up in this world is looking back at friendships from your past. People walk into your life for a reason. Each person adds a lesson to your life and takes a piece of your heart. My photo books are filled with pictures of me and the great girlfriends in my life, the girls that have helped shape me into the woman I am today.

I can honestly say I'm at a place in my life where I am at peace with some of those friendships who are not in my daily, weekly, or even monthly call log. Sometimes friendships have a season, and that is OK! 

"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton 

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- Anais Nin


 
Much like Rachel... when I see their faces all I can do is smile as I think about how they helped get me to where I am today. Thank you to all the great friends of my life.

No comments: